Casey: This is the view from our room at the Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel (who's that pretty lady?). Absolutely gorgeous view of an ocean that is becoming increasingly dangerous to swim in due to pollution. Penang is beautiful but there are over a million people living there (with more high-rise condos being built everywhere) and the infrastructure doesn't seem to adequately protect the ocean. Whatever the reason, the ocean was murky, smelled strongly fishy and had alot of garbage in it. We're told that the jellyfish season gets worse every year which seems linked to the pollution. Langkawi island, where we are now, has much cleaner beaches but could easily become like Penang if the ocean isn't protected and it continues to be developed. Tricky balance - to promote a beautiful natural area to tourism without destroying it. I know, I know - I'm part of the problem...

3 comments:
Love the ocean and also intimidated by it. (Maybe that is why wcc does not eat sea food, I wondered.) Isn't it strange that our knowledge barely scratch the surface of the ocean yet our waste penetrate much deeper to hurt it. Ignorance or selfishness? Anyway, enjoy it while you are there and leave the rest for another day.
Thoughtful statements, Wuchunc. I am just catching up with the travels of C &K, having been working in my little garden for the past 2 weeks, blissfully unaware of all that activity (when I looked last, Casey was opening gifts and admiring my painting!) It's so good of you both to take the time to share with us, you give such delicious descriptions and mini stories that help us feel we are there with you. Have sat here catching up, also enjoying the comments from your faithful readers.
You never answered gtia's query about GERT, I'd like to know what it is too?
Mamma Miller
Thanks for checking in with us on our journey, guys. Didn't know that WCC didn't eat seafood. Learn something new every day. By the way, GERD is gastro reflux disease - basically heartburn. They tell you to avoid spicy foods which goes against our religion. :) Doctors should really advise you to go on vacation instead. Will try to post more food pictures for J and V, and grocery store photos for G Tia. Welcome back, Momma M!
Post a Comment