Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Love Public Transit


iFlickr
Originally uploaded by Chilekids2004
Casey: Here's the 15 minute ferry that runs between Butterworth train/bus/ferry station and Penang island. Of the two times Karen and I have ridden it, we've never had to wait for it - just paid the 1.20 RM (40 cents) and walked on. You step off a train or bus and step onto a ferry - piece of cake. Our journey from Langkawi island back to Penang involved a taxi, ferry, taxi, bus, ferry and finally taxi but rarely more than 10 minutes wait between vehicles. Why own a car when public transit is this good (and gas is so expensive)? Certainly less stressful to let someone else do the driving. Bus system here in Penang is top-notch. Brand new air conditioned bus rides that are rarely more than 1 RM (33 cents) to wherever you want to go. Only downside is the damn American pop music they play that ruins the exotic feel of a foreign country. Embarrasing what makes its way out of the US. They were actually playing "Rambo" on the 3 hour ferry to Langkawi. And people wonder why Karen and I sometimes pose as Canadians when we travel. Incidentally, toystores here do NOT sell anything remotely resembling a gun.

6 comments:

wuchunc said...

Apologize to share this thought as an EE geek. Every time Butterworth ferry station was mentioned, it gave me a chuckle since there is a Butterworth filter in EE filed of study. I had this vivid mind picture to what a flat-band low-pass filter would do to passengers. I will leave it to Casey to draw more analogy between the filter and the ferry station, and perhaps extend it to data comm and transportation systems.

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for being ashamed of your counry!!! The grass is never greenner anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Wow Casey! I had no idea you two are so ashamed of being Americans. That's a shocker. I've been to South East Asia many times. Although beautiful, it's very oppressed. Stand up and denounce your government there and you'll be shot. Do it here in the U.S. and you go home to your family in one piece. I choose to remain anonymous as to not jeoperdize out friendship.

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Anonymous friends:
I can't speak directly on Casey's behalf, but just a quick word about being ashamed, and being American. "Ashamed" is a figure of speech - probably used more loosely than it should have been. Never meant to imply that the grass is greener, only that it's greener in some places on the front lawn. We can learn from other systems around the world if we're just willing to take a closer look - learn what to adopt, and what to discard. We've gone to great lengths on this blog to underscore the beauty that is America - and part of that beauty is the verbal freedom to criticize our government for not investing more money in sustainable transportation. If you doubt our love for this country, please refer to our borderline obsessive posts about the heartland of Nebraska and the marshes of the Florida Everglades.

Casey said...

Anonymous: If you truly had been to Malaysia then you would know that nobody gets shot for denouncing the Malaysian government (as evidenced by the daily newspapers). Anyone that knows me knows I love to discuss/argue so remaining anonymous doesn't do either of us any good. I think Karen summed it up well - we love our country but it could always use some improvements. You argue with that? - Casey

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with you both. But posing as a foreign national that you are not simply because you are "embarrassed" by some of the aspects of your country or culture does yourself a disservice. It's an afront to those who sacrificed to make this country great and it offers those who do not understand Americans fodder for their hatred/mischaracterization of us. Perfect it is not. Better than most? Yes! Room for improvement? Absolutely! Thank you for a wonderful discussion that has openned my eyes a bit more. Keep up the good work. I love you blogg.