Bike Expedition
So we managed to fit all the bike trip equipment into these carry-on bags, minus the little black dog. It breaks my heart every time we say good bye, and for those of you who've met Kiwi, you understand the difficulty in parting company with her for any extended period of time. Her premature white face is a consistent reminder of the value of each day we have her in our lives.
Casey kindly made some allowances for my accoutrements in his luggage. An obsessive amount of vitamins, broad spectrum sunscreen, Aveda shampoo and conditioner, and a selection of sun hats can be surprisingly space intensive, and Casey has always been generous.
These expeditions would not be possible without the help of Venitha and Jim (who provide a loving home for Kiwi in our absence) and without Elizabeth (who watches the homefront and keeps in touch with me wherever we are). We're more than grateful for having such great and gracious friends and are well aware of the fact that we don't quite deserve them.
It's been a whirlwind the past few weeks, getting grades ready by Friday and preparing for the trip to Africa which follows shortly after we return from the bike expedition. Convincing my insurance company to pay for anti-malaria drugs failed. Apparently, they'll cough up (no pun intended) the bucks for malaria treatment but not for preventatives like Malarone (The pharmacist had a real laugh about this one). The drug was optional for travel to South America but I took it anyway without ill effects. For Ghana, the CIEE actually requires an anti-malaria prophyalatic, and whereas I'm open to lots of new experiences (I've seriously always wanted to survive a snake bite), I'm not too keen on acquiring malaria as a tourist trinket. Malaria drugs wound up costing more than the price of my New Zealand MacPac jacket (seen here), which just hit its 10-year anniversary mark. It's old and tattered and not quite in need of duct tape, but I just can't part with it, particularly because it's just about to visit its 6th continent and has never failed me (unless you count its lack style and grace).
Happy Mothers' Day to all!
3 comments:
I am amazed that you can pack two weeks worth of your personal belongings into 2 bags. I may need some lessons in packing for a trip.
Hey! I like that jacket! And Kiwi is doing great. She was so good on her walk this morning that I'm still impressed now. Zoe is loving on her like crazy, and Kiwi's calmly enduring stuffed animals piled on top of her, toys dragged into her crate, lots of (I'm doing my best to ensure) gentle petting, and quite a few treats.
Erica: the secret is that more than 3 pair of anything is excessive. I've become good at wearing my clothes while showering or grape-stomping my clothes after a bath. Provided they're the right materials (thin synthetics), they're clean and dry by the next morning. Wringing, rolling up in a towel and standing on them helps speed the drying process. I'm particularly proud of the towel rolling process - my own invention (although independently discovered by many I presume). Venitha: Again, we couldn't travel like this without you guys. Such a difference leaving Kiwi to people and a home she loves as opposed to leaving her shivering and nervous at a kennel, we just couldn't do it.
Post a Comment