Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Asparagus and Raspberries


DSC_0007
Originally uploaded by Chilekids2004
It may come as little surprise to you that we've mostly been eating since our arrival some 36 hours ago due to an individual who shall remain nameless. (By the way, everyone on the Lufthansa flight thought Casey was German). It's easy to forgive the man his excesses, given what a peerless travel partner he is. On the flight over, sleep deprived and exercise-starved, I'd profiled a terrorist on board, who'd been getting up not less than 10 times in an hour, glancing around nervously, watching the in flight map like it was the first time he'd seen a television screen. A few minutes later the man seated in front of me somehow dismantled the metal-grooved head-rest on his chair back, and as it plummeted toward my lap, it effectively gut punched me and my karma back into reality. I looked over at the terrorist, as I rubbed my belly with dramatic emphasis, observing that he was now watching the conclusion of Pixar's "Bolt". Harmless. Casey simply smiled at me.

The photo above is totally unrelated, but it's meant to show those who think I'm a food hater that everyone has their gastronomic passions. (Casey has often referred to me as an "air plant", the implication being that I subsist upon little). On this table in La Boqueria, Casey secretly caught me as I stumbled upon mounds of fresh raspberries and asparagus. Only a package of plain m and ms could have made this culinary troika complete. Below: Casey mulling over the meat counter.
Like a kid in a meat store...

4 comments:

pb said...

Your blog entries are great! Fun to follow you both, your thoughts, your photos and your adventure.

venitha said...

Yay! I thought La Boqueria was beautiful. Please tell me you've enjoyed some gelato and some xocolat?

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

We enjoyed way too much chocolate and gelato. It was only worth eating when we had to bicycle for it. Guilt-free (sort of)!

Paul B- apologies in advance for all the entry-level pictures. One of these days we'll show you some shots with pride!

pb said...

Your story and posts and photos were great, especially the ones in the fog. Welcome home! Look forward to seeing more pics!