Thursday, April 23, 2009

Farewell, Taiwan!

Taiwan was excellent, though we've had little time to digest what we saw (and ate) since our return home to Colorado. Final exams are this week. Spring has sprung. And meanwhile, I'm trying to secure a visa to Ghana, write a conference paper, and pack everything for the 3 week bicycle trip into a pannier-sized carry-on bag by Sunday. Life is good. In fact, I've been reflecting on how frequently Casey and I have been told that we'll tire of our flaneur lifestyle and soon realize that one city is not unlike the next and that after a while travel just gets old, old, old. While I'll agree that plane journeys have become a rather stale affair (I wondered if China Airlines was on auto-pilot the whole trip across the Pacific), the cityscape of Taipei is clearly different from that of Rio, and camping in Nebraska offers an entirely unique but equally good experience as pitching a tent in Arthur's Pass, New Zealand. I love this wobbly planet. She is the quintessential professor emeritus of old; and I, the not yet too jaded, overly self-conscious student, am willing to sit on the grass and take notes in the sun.

DSC_0100DSC_0085

DSC_0065

DSC_0064

DSC_0062

DSC_0058

DSC_0121

DSC_0072

3 comments:

wuchunc said...

Heading back already! It is a long way for such a short trip. We were worried that Karen got too sick with the cold when the daily updates became sparse... or perhaps you guys were busy with touring around the island. Have a nice trip coming home.

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Wuchun and Meiling - Taiwan was wonderful. Stopped posting because we were spending most of our time enjoying the sights, sounds, and foods. It was way too short of a trip but we'll definitely be back. Thanks again for all the tips!

venitha said...

Oh, the orchids! The had sprigs of them at Sunflower today for $20+. Very fond memories of the enormous orchid bouquets I regularly bought in Singapore for under $1.