Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pop vs. Soda


Thought some of you'd be interested in seeing the pop vs. soda controversy in map form. This cartographic genius was created by the folks at the East Central University (Oklahoma). The data is by county: the Engineer and I grew up in "soda" territory back in two of the original 13 colonies, but are now flanked by "pop" drinkers here in the mile high state. Notice the schizophrenic, checkerboard pattern in neighboring Nebraska. What do you drink?

5 comments:

wuchunc said...

Wonder if the map indicates any migration trend or if this is the balance of super-natural soda and pop force fields combat in 2-d.

Alaska caught my eyes (special insight from my chromatically challenged sight).

jima said...

Hmmm. Oddly the map shows where I grew up (eastern Wisconsin) as clearly in "soda" territory, but I definitely remember using both "soda" and "pop". "Coke" is just wrong, though. :)

Anonymous said...

SODA!!!

Anonymous said...

what else is there but soda pop?

Anonymous said...

I see lots of other possible related maps. In New Jersey and Vermont, we grew up calling jeans,"dungarees" and tennis shoes, "sneakers". The Californians always laughed at us.