Rio
I've been wanting to post from my base here at the Cesar Park hotel in Ipanema Beach but the Fulbright Commission has kept us busy with activities from sunrise to sunset. We spent a rather awkward July 4th at the U.S. ambassador's residence here in Rio. Most of us came equipped with clothes better suited for the Amazon and the Pantanal, so we arrived at the soiree expecting an Independence Day BBQ, replete with hot dogs and beer and abundant flip flops. Thus my wrinkled linen clothes attracted a glare or two from the elite of Rio. Otherwise, all is well here in the tropics. I have been feeling so wonderfully Brazilian that I even bought a beaded bikini.
I have made some very good friends and our bus has become a second home for the fifteen of us, though our schedule is packed so tightly that at times I embrace my seven hours of sleep as a kind of private, cherished sacred space that is mine and mine alone. Tonight was the first night since I left Colorado that I was free to roam the streets of Rio and just get lost. In search of peanut m & ms, I stumbled upon a 10pm service at the Catholic church, where we sang songs interspersed with moments of silence. The people here are beautiful in so many ways.
Yesterday we traveled to Corcovado and I was humbled by the sight of the Christ statue. Of course, the escalator leading up to the base of the statue was a humorous sight. The favelas, or the shantytowns, that fringe Rio, are always on my
mind. We are sleeping at one of the most luxurious hotels on Ipanema Beach. We have been treated like royalty for the past 10 days. I can see the beach from my posh room on the 15th floor, but I also see the twinkling lights of the favela. This is a landscape of extremes.
4 comments:
When we were there the hot thing was a guided tour of the favelas so that those who have see those who haven't. Very disturbing, IMHO.
GTia
GTia, I'd heard about favela tourism in Rocinha. Interesting that they now call it reality tourism. Central Mexico now has an illegal immigrant tour which simualates the border crossing experience, complete with coyotes and all. Thanks for checking in!
I think by posting the picture of the bikini, you are making Casey regret that he can't be there with you:) Glad that you are having a good time!
Hey kiddo! Glad Casey did not find out about that bikini! Not much to it and one good wave - goodbye! Anyway, it is cool that you had a wonderful time.
Post a Comment