Brasilia
The humanity and chaos of Salvador is a far cry from the organized, structured, capitol city of Brasilia. I've had a hard time embracing this place, perhaps because it reminds me too much the overly planned cities back home. Life is organic, people settle and move in organic ways, and Brasilia doesn't really allow for that. But there were beautiful moments here in this city, made more beautiful by the Brazilian people.At yesterday's meeting
with the environmental committee we were able to ask questions directly to the Brazilian Congress. We visited some cathedrals and walked through some of Niemeyer's strangely claustrophic architecture. We spent last night on a boat with a former Fulbright scholar discussing the idea of coincidence and whether or not it really exists. This scholar devotes much of his time to teaching music to children in the favela,inspiring them to think beyond the violence that is so rampant in their community.
We're headed to the airport to catch a flight to Campo Grande and then take a 5-6 hour bus ride to the Pantanal. I have dreamed of this moment for years and feel so blessed that I am part of this experience, especially in light of the difficulties and challenges that most Brazilians face. We'll be in the Pantanal for just four days, followed by 10 days in the Amazon, so I may be out of touch for a while.
6 comments:
You never cease to amaze me in how you see the wrold. Thanks for being part of a bigger picture. Withe love and hugs...Else
Karen -
It sounds like you are having an amazing time - thanks so much for keeping us posted! It has been a lot of fun following your Brazilian experiences, and the pics you've been including are awesome (I especially liked the one with the two kids and the coconut milk drinks). Had a hunch you'd dig Salvador and the Pelourinho - did you take the Lacerda Elevador while in Salvador? Looking forward to hearing what your perceptions are of the Pantanal and the amazing Amazon!
Love,
Pomme Frit
I'm not messy - I'm just trying to keep things organic. With you gone, the house has become VERY organic. I better clean before things start growing.
Sounds like a great trip so far. David Sedaris himself couldn't have written a more entertaining account of your travels. (said in Brooklyn accent)
Be safe!
La Familia
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for keeping up with my story, and sincere apologies for not getting back with everyone. I had no email contact in the Pantanal and have limited contact here in Amazonas. But I'll be in Manaus for a few days and will get back up to speed. Love to all.
What a fabulous trip so far. The picture of the Church was outstanding and very moving as well as the statue of Christ.
The children seem to be very happy with their prized possession of a coconut. Keep family posted. Have a safe trip. Never thought a parent from Brooklyn would see her child go so far away and learn so much. Keep up the experiences and have fun.
Momma Lamma
Post a Comment