Sunday, July 08, 2007

Salvador

Historic Salvador truly feels like the heart and soul of Brazil, between the music, dance, and food. We spent Saturday morning in a favela visiting a cooperative that makes furniture out of recycled soda bottles. It's been nice to see examples of the informal economy at work.

I believed that my passion for Brazil would be found in the "nature" of the Amazon and the Pantanal, but the people of this country are just as remarkable. Color is everywhere, and my English Patient attire seems so bland by comparison. In the space of a few weeks, my personal space has changed and I enjoy how it feels. Brazil surely ranks high in well being in terms of its geography of happiness.
We've had lots of encounters with street kids over the past few days. The World Health Organization estimates that there are 100 million street kids in the world, and half of them live here in Latin America. The boys in the photo were happy to have access to some free coconut milk.
In a few minutes I'm headed to, of all places, the mall, as I need to pick up some professional clothes for Brasilia. We are meeting with Congress the day our flight arrives. There is so much
to digest and share but I think the stories will have to wait.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I want you to bring home one of those soda bottle chairs. But it has to have soda in it.