Chunky cumulus clouds rolled over Amazonia this afternoon as our boat
sped us toward the confluence of the Rio Negro and Solimoes, a sight made more impressive by satellite than the photo I've provided. Two rivers: one black, one white; one fast, one slow; one a mosquito magnet, the other, a safe haven for those who left their anti-malaria meds back in Rio.
George, our jungle guide back in Silves and the man who taught Jennifer Lopez a bit of jungle survival during the film, Anaconda, warned me about Amazonian
lily pads. He said the pads were large enough to hold a human baby. He explained this as he sliced the blade of a large machete into a tree to produce a shaving of bark that smelled like the cloves we'd smoke in junior high. George does not lie. Today, we caught a glimpse of these waxy water pancakes. Tomorrow: a quick visit to the Opera house and then we hop on our next flight to Belem. I now count the days until we return to the the red, the white and the blue of the other America sitting north of that corpulent equatorial belt called zero. I miss my family. I miss my friends. But I'm not quite ready to leave.
3 comments:
We always enjoy reading your adventures in the Colorado suburb, south America, or to anywhere you might lead us. We can almost picture the trek in the jungle despite the missing photos. I bet the engineer may be able to retrieve the images if you bring the SD back.
Um, why would you want to place a baby on a lily-pad? "Hold on one sec, lemme put this baby down..."
Kiwi -
Who sang that song "Ooh ooh it's magic"? That, I think, is one of the anthems of your journey. It sounds like your recent adventures in the Pantanal and Amazon have been truly awesome. I can just imagine having a guarana on a star-filled evening in the Pantanal, seeing the Southern Cross in the heavens above...what a slice of the sublime! Thanks for keeping us posted and have fun in Belem!
French Fry
Post a Comment