I put in a humble three hours of work yesterday and then prepped E for our sweaty visit to a Shanghai temple: Jing’an, located right above the Metro stop known by the same name. The locals tell me Jing’an means “peace and tranquility”, just the ambiance we were seeking on this hot and sticky kind of day. I’ve grown increasingly addicted to the challenges of maneuvering E around the big city and am constantly on the lookout for opportunities to up the stakes. Today I tried to channel the limbs of an octopus and threw an umbrella into the mix of “must-have” items that accompany us on each of our jaunts. With our cumbersome camera, clammy black backpack, and rickety stroller in tow, we must resemble a traveling circus. I’d read that in the 1930s, Jing’an was Shanghai’s wealthiest Buddhist temple and was controlled by the august Khi Vehdu, an abbot known best for his team of White Russian bodyguards (and his concubines). It’s been said that the White Russians guarded him closely with bulletproof briefcases in the event of an attack. Of course, all this talk about White Russians simply made me thirsty for a cool drink.
Yummy bean buns? Steamed dumplings? Dried meat in bulk? Time to return the camera to its bag and think about supper and reuniting our family pack for the day.
3 comments:
Nice. Wonder what actually was going through E's mind while he was looking up at the big statute...
I was so tempted by the picture of pan-fried dumpling. I guess that your food journey will come in a few days or would Casey be that de facto critic?
I'm with Wuchun. We'd love to see a post on your food journeys. Casey?
Good looking dumplings. Looking forward to market pictures. Find a hardware store if you can. Those I've found to be amazingly interesting - more so than clothes, furniture, and appliances.
And maybe invite yourself over to someones actual home and then ask to take pictures. LOL
Loving the posts. E is one cute toddler!
XXOO
GTIa
Post a Comment