Friday, May 16, 2008

Our torture devices...


iFlickr
Originally uploaded by Chilekids2004
Here's a picture of our bikes - yeah they're both Novara Safari touring bikes. I'm not sure I like the disk brakes, harder to fix and replacement rims are harder to find. I've got a Bob trailer and front panniers and Karen has a full set of front and rear panniers plus a bag that goes on top of the rear bags. The problem is not having enough carrying volume, it's about carrying too much weight. Our second or third day, we mailed about 15 pounds of extra stuff back home. We could easily mail another box. Cycling trips definitely teach what is essential. Surprisingly little.

This is the second night (separated by one night of camping in Meadow Grove's beautiful park) in the "Two Rivers Motel" which has got to be the best motel we've ever seen. $35 per night and run by the sweetest people. Just down the road is the South Fork pub (we're in Ewing, NE) where they make an amazing fried chicken dinner. I'm salivating just thinking about it. We're headed there tonight.

(this post by Casey)

3 comments:

Erica said...

Wow! I love that you can post while on your biking adventure.

Erica said...

BTW: I am curious what your route is...looks like you will be going through Sioux City or Norfolk. Make sure and say hi to all my family there:)

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

We turned around 15 miles before Norfolk! Beautiful place you come from, Erica. Karen and I are smitten.