I’m a wanna be writer not a wanna be fighter, but yesterday I received a bitter taste of the Mommy Wars, the age-old battle between the working and the SAHMs (stay at home moms), the breast-fed versus the formula-fed, the co-sleepers versus the crib-sleepers, and the socially competent versus the just plain ignorant (JPI). I also discovered, quite inadvertently, that I have a newfound role as adoptive parent ambassador. It’ll be a daunting appointment, for my natural inclination is to throttle the JPIs.
The story: I was in Target with baby Durian when I quite literally ran into an old acquaintance who was visibly startled by the writhing, furrowing newborn perched atop my cart. (Note: all members of our close circle of friends have been given a “fruit identity”. Eli is currently a durian for reasons related to his pungent scent. If you have yet to receive your fruit identity, please contact me immediately).
Is that your baby? the acquaintance asked.
Yep!
Wow, how old is it?
Six weeks, I say proudly. (Proud, also, because I’ve managed to make my way to Target, hair combed, lip gloss in place).
You don’t look like you had a baby, she says rather suspiciously.
That’s because he’s adopted. Easier to lose the baby weight, I confess.
Oh, wow! she responds. From where?
From the USA, I answer, annunciating each letter of the acronym.
You can still do that? she says incredulously.
I hope so, or we’re in a lot of trouble.
Was it expensive?
My blood begins to boil. Always with the money business. It’s tempting to inquire about the cost of her jeans or the hospital bill for her own children but I refrain.
Less than you’d think, I answer. We tried international, and it just didn’t work for us. Too much corruption in Kazakhstan. We were part of the African bi-racial program and then we got a call last October about this little tomato…and then…
Her eyes look hazy. She’s not really interested in these tidbits, only her line of interrogation. And this is frustrating, because it’s the story of our pregnancy, our paper pregnancy; the same way bio Moms share tales of morning sickness and food cravings, we talk fingerprints and home studies and blood tests.
So did you get to name it?
It? Oh, you mean the baby! (I pause for instructional purposes. She’s treating him like he’s a puppy, something that needs to be underscored). Sure, of course we did. Pretty great, isn’t it? There are still a lot of kids in the US who need homes.
Yes, I heard. But I always wondered if the bonding process would be harder. Is it?
She’s relentless. But I’ve had 7 hours of sleep and am feeling strong, feisty enough to handle this like a university mascot. Well, no, actually, it’s not. And how would we know otherwise? I add, cheerfully. We adopted our puppy from the Humane Society, and sometimes I feel like she’s my own flesh and blood.
She doesn’t like the canine-human comparison, which pleases me more than I admit. Maybe she’s a cat person.
A woman with two kids passes, glancing quickly in our direction. I wonder if there’s a look of horror on my face because she gives me a wry smile until her eyes dart back to her own children, thrashing about in the red cart with a Raggedy Ann retro doll.
Well, good luck, she says, almost nostalgically, punctuated by a polite smile. I say thank you, we part ways, and as I wheel off toward the pet aisle, I realize that in our conversation the woman never once said the obligatory “congratulations” due to all newborn parents.
I look down in the cart, surprised to see Eli frowning up at me from his perch. The experts say that right around this time you may see a newborn smile, some of them gas-induced grins, some sincere, or ebullient, but nobody mentioned the frown reflex. The kid is an old soul, and I love him for his furrowed brow.
Congratulations, Eli, I whisper with a smile, as we wheel the cart over to the pet aisle, in search of a gift for the other adoptee back home.
And still, the boy frowns. Maybe it’s the bright lights of Target but I love this baby for being so dubious at such a young age.
15 comments:
Durian!?! I am almost not curious enough to want to know mine. I have to smile (or hide my laugh a little) while reading this blog. Such a vivid, yet typical, theme you described.
I'd love to hear about your trials and tribulations, pregnancy, everything and anything you want to share.
XXOO
GTia
Hey, Folks:
I'll need to have Casey weigh in on this, but the first thing that comes to mind for WCC is an orange - radiant, happy. Georgia, of course - you're a peach! (Casey = banana; Karen = apple). It's really quite systematic.
I can't believe someone would be so nosy!! I might ask how old a baby is, but that's it! Wow. I'm glad you didn't let it bother you. :) P.S. I love the fruit idea!
So, orange, peach and banana are taken. Do I get to be an apple? No, wait, maybe a Craisin (love 'em in the morning, with mixed nuts,..um, not my husband and son) Anyway, Karen, you handled that nasty woman with aplomb (a plum?) and Eli is trying to Fig ure it all out.
Oh, I know EXACTLY what that conversation was like. Why do they concentrate on the money so much? I'm so tempted to say we paid the higher price because the cheaper ones usually have tails. She forgot to tell you what a wonderful thing you've done and to never let the birthmother see or hold the child again. EVAH.
BTW just found your blog...looks like I have some reading to do.
Ron set me the link to your blog.
First, congratulations. It takes a really brave person to adopt. I could not do it, but I am always in awe of people that do. One of my cousins is adopted and while growing up I always thought of her as my cousin, not as my "adopted cousin".
Second, congratulations for the baby. I am a parent and it is not easy. But ... it is great. Parenthood is one of those strange and magical things. When I first got married - the first time - I did not want kids. The second time I got married - and Ron would attest to Elizabeth's character - I still did not want kids, but Elizabeth did not want to be the "dog lady" - which she is anyway - and we got pregnant. Now, I would not trade parenthood for anything in the world; even on the days where I want to "murder" my kids.
Third, congratulations for standing up to idiocity. I am not too bothered by curiosity, even when it crosses "the line", but I am bothered by lack of vision and tunnel vision.
Enjoy your kid and your pup.
Wow... you even sprinkled in some jokes that might've tipped her off that the inquisition was inappropriate... good job momma and yeah, congrats! (Again!)
I wish that you would have bumped into ME in Target!!! I would have embarrassed you with my YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and surprised you with my HUG, and than Eli would have been frowning at ME because I would NOT have been as super cute as HIS OWN MOMMY
was, with that beautiful hair and those sassy gloss coated lips. Hopefully that's how it goes for you next time, my gracious mama friend. I hope that you're getting some sleep to go with that big mama-smile.
Adoption and Eli are both lucky to have you for an advocate! I think you're right to tag your acquaintance as socially incompetent. But if you want to give her the benefit of the doubt, please remember that many of us just have no context for interacting with adoptive parents - so being unsure about what it's appropriate to say, we blather. Or maybe that's just me.
"Durian" is a heckuva lot to live up to. But I have faith in the little guy. Go, Eli! And, btw, CONGRATULATIONS!
V: Most people are understandably given a pass. Most are genuinely curious and compassionate, while others are nosy, myopic, fact gatherers. But as Korine pointed out with her comment, the Target woman had been given several social cues, yet she ignored them all on that fateful day in Target. Final judgment: JPI! Send her to the lions!
As always, it's such a treat to read your writing... I can just picture the scene and like others here, can't help but smile.
As for the interaction you had, it's a shame that we generally have such a hard time understanding the perspective of others, or aren't willing to try. Especially for something so beautiful as what you guys have done. We all have the opportunity to know what it means to be welcomed into such a loving family as yours, but still don't understand it. Love like that can seem so foreign, we can't get our arms around it and fall back to what we know, which leaves us looking JPI.
I'm a little late, but I had to ask about our fruit-inspired nicknames. Any chance you might Dole those out for us?
God bless you guys!
Don't listen to any of them, KB! And wow - you've lost an amazing amount of baby weight in such a short time, you Hot Momma.
Post a Comment