It’s my turn in line, and I’m pleased to see that Matt, a fellow Yankee fan, will be assisting me with the chocolate parcel en route to Arizona. The guy is 10 years my junior, but we talk Yankee talk, no matter how long the line, whether the black dog patiently waits in the car or not.
Anything in here dangerous, fragile, hazardous? he asks, clutching the box with its Sharpee-markered directions.
Does chocolate count? I plagiarize myself, having used the same joke every time.
I jingle my keychain, revealing the long Yankees’ lanyard, a reminder of what we share in common. He smiles. Spring training is upon us! Matt cheers.
Yep. Though I may be out for the season. Se-ri-ously.
You say that every year, he replies dryly.
I got attached to Damon and Matsui, and now they’re both gone. Who’s next?
Yeah, I still don’t know where Damon is going, but the Yanks didn’t sign him. We’ve still got Rivera, but he’s 40 now. Matt’s eyes are wide, as if 40 was the end of the line. I don’t know what they’ll do when Rivera is gone.
I nod my head in agreement. I’ll miss Rivera’s smile more than anything else, I reply, perhaps a tad too dreamily. Neither of us mentions the unmentionable: A-Rod.
I take my change, and head into the grocery store where I’m intercepted by the small, curly-haired bagger, who wears a hemp choker, a round name badge, and a broad smile. He asks for a high five and I oblige him.
How did this happen, this community to which I now belong? The Engineer and I, hungry for the small, cloistered towns of Vermont – Castleton, Bomoseen, Fair Haven – have somehow been nourished by a frosty suburb with tedious architecture and no maple syrup. Oh, how the beautiful people of this town, friends and acquaintances, have sweetened the experience.
Above: Random photo of Kiwi using the Boppy as a chewing post.
2 comments:
Karen - He's a guy... It's all about the food.
OMG - Why didn't I think of that? Haven't I learned anything from Casey? :) Thanks for the comment, Anon!
Post a Comment