Sunday, January 22, 2006

Police Ride Along

The Gods of Crime were good to me last night. My first ride-along with the local PD was an evening to remember:

9.30pm: While waiting near the records division for my officer to arrive, a drunken man turns himself in saying there’s a warrant out for his arrest. He’s cuffed and shuttled to the county jail.

9.45pm: I meet up with my patrol officer, a female. Not only is she tough, but she is extremely affable.

10:00pm: we pull over a Honda for failing to use a directional signal. Only a warning is given, but four packs of cigarettes are confiscated from the 15-years olds in the vehicle.

10:15pm: an informant calls dispatch regarding his roommate, who has overdosed on either heroin, cocaine, or methamphetamine. Before we leave the guy's house, we’ve got a tiny bag full of a tar-black substance and the guy is on his way to the hospital.

11:00pm: visit apartment complex to investigage series of bangs, either fireworks or gunshots. Nada.

11:30pm: drunk woman in a Lexus falls asleep at the wheel. Says her husband is a lawyer, which doesn’t stop the officers from arresting her.

12:00pm: man in car approaches our vehicle and asks us how to go about finding your car once it’s been impounded. He was arrested a year ago and just now has decided to find his car.

1:00pm: call from 15-year old girl says estranged father has threatened to bathe her uncle and aunt in a pool of blood. Lots of time spent on phone.

1:30pm: coffee and hot chocolate at Starbucks. Officer says I can’t buy her coffee since it’s against the law (nor can she buy mine).

2:00pm: investigate loud music complaint.Note to self: talk to your neighbors and let the police get the real bad guys.

3:00pm: accident near downtown involving a Ford Exploder and compact Honda. Driving 75-80 mph across town on surface streets with this super cool officer, I become very scared that I will die.

4:00pm: back to the station for my drive home, and the swift realization that I live a very, very safe and sheltered life.

11 comments:

jima said...

Wow - sounds very exciting!

venitha said...

All this excitement in little old Ft Collins? Who knew? I'm kind of surprised that Starbucks doesn't give police officers free coffee. Is this also illegal?

Anonymous said...

With a name like Ford Exploder, why are we surprised there's an accident?

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Technical Mom: Ford Exploder is actually slang used by those who find the Explorer's safety record somewhat dubious. I stole the expression from Casey.

J and V: Come back to FoCo soon. See what you're missing?

Anonymous said...

Well just remember Casey's Grandfather was a NYS Trooper and you should of heard some of his stories!! Just think this is just the beginning:)

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Anonymous: we would love to hear some of his stories!

Erica said...

Hey Karen, why did you get to go on this ride along?

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Erica: I did it out of my not so secret desire to be a police detective. Plus, I wanted to get to know my community, the good and the bad. You guys should try it - just call up the PD and they'll arrange one for you.

Anonymous said...

Interesting.. I can only imagine what a ride along would be like in Bull Head City.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience! I felt like I was there!

Anonymous said...

I would pay $$$ for a ride along in BHC...