Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Metrics of Cancer


I stare out the bathroom window at the full moon and watch gauzy clouds roll across the dark sky.  Naked cottonwood branches stretch into view, long tendrils hungry for spring, unable to reach a perfect moon.  I try to clear my thoughts, but dirty words - like sarcoma and radiograph and malig-Nancy – jerk in and out of my head uninvited. I am an optimist. But I am a raving, fearful lunatic when faced with the mortality of this pack.

I jog downstairs to do something, anything, to operationalize the ethic of my oldest and best friend, who once said: “fake it til you make it”.  She made it, past death and pain and loss and love and she is still all style and grace.  And so, I straighten papers.  I make notes for tomorrow’s lecture. I send cheerful emails to students with a time stamp of 3 am.  Then I hear her sturdy paws tap tap tap wooden stairs and watch her peer around the corner, pleading dark eyes, awaiting a middle-of-the-night treat.  A low and a slow wag followed by a dramatic drop to the carpet. A groan. I catch a glimpse of her incision, six inches of staples, tiny teeth clamping flesh to flesh.  I wonder if I will ever sleep again.

Earlier tonight the vet tells me the black dog has a poorly differentiated level three sarcoma. For a moment the words sound Icelandic. I imagine each vowel and consonant sliding off a slippery fishing boat, dwelling forever with the Atlantic cod. I scribble the jargon down on a wrinkled gray notepad while the small boy plays with penny racers at my feet. The Engineer is not yet home. Level 3  - like a video game result. Not possible. Not possible. Not possible. Impossible. She is only eight years old.  We had already arranged for her immortality.  She has been folded into sabbatical plans and has yet to swim in the ocean. 

I believe in statistics, the ones that favor the home team. If the odds are against, simply course correct and jettison the metrics in favor of hope and dharma.  

Diagnosis: it’s a jelly side down day, made stickier by a night without sleep, so I  take my cues from the black dog instead.  The sun rises. We gobble down string cheese by the fridge, breaking food rules, and curl up on the floor in a broad sun shaft. She has mastered the art of slowness - in all ways but one. I wonder if Milan Kundera would weep.

10 comments:

Karyn McIvor said...

I shed a few tears reading your post again Karen... I am a big softy when it comes to dogs and my heart aches for you and the "pack." I know how precious Kiwi is to you all and how dogs touch our lives so deeply! Please keep posting updates on how things are going with beautiful Kiwi.

Momma M said...

Echoes to Karyn's post from Kiwi's gramma. Our own black dog is aging, losing hearing and strength, we dread the time when she won't be able to climb the night stairs. How we love these furry family members!

Traingirl said...

If Milan Kundera is worth his weight in words, he'd weep. But if he's too ethereal now, that's okay. We've got it covered.

O Karen, I know the pain that comes when we watch a dog go on her way and I believe with all my heart that the kindest, most loving act is to just be there with her, so she has someone to please--you, the one she most wants to. So you please each other. In the sun. As you are doing. And you feel grateful to know in every cell of your body, the smell of love, the taste of loyalty, the sound of beauty in your shared breaths.

All love to you and your pack.

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

I love all of this love. Thank you for taking the time to listen and share. Dog love forever.

Barbara said...

Oh Karen, you poor thing. I am hoping for the best for your little pack.
I lost my dog-baby when she was 14 and it was hard. I still have a dog-shaped hole in my heart. Please give your black dog a pat and a "good dog" from me.

Andrew said...

Your post touched me deeply. You have my heartfelt empathy during this difficult time.

- Andrew

hotels in pachmarhi said...

I was just now searching for about this when I discovered your post. I’m just stopping by to say that I really enjoyed reading this post, it’s very well written.

Betsy, Ivory Rose and Tusker said...

will think positive thoughts for your pup...i'm a dog lover too! just hit next blog and there you were. all the best. betsy in alaska

Unknown said...

I have two dogs in my house and i'm in love with them. Good to see a blog that is related to pets like my bruno and bruce.
ad services

Paramount Pakistan Trust said...

Nice blog
Donate to Provide free books and uniforms to the poor students.