We huddle in the cold around an elderly man
who explains the mechanics of landfills while students stand with fists stuffed
in stubby pockets gazing up at a mountain of accumulated debris. Gulls scavenge and reel above our
heads. A hungry yellow dozer jerks up and down the trash heap carrying with it
an American flag. The guide
shares his intimate knowledge of this place and we gaze in astonishment at the
mountain and all of the s%$# --
the razor scooter, the pea green couch, the squeaky kid toys – that intelligent
people throw instead of give away.
I watch the students closely and wonder if
they think I’m ramming the anti-consumer lesson down their throats. But then I remember that I don’t want
to be their friend.
A student leans in and whispers to me: “Can
we get closer to the mountain?”
“No, sorry, we can’t. We’ve been advised against it. It's a policy designed to keep us safe.”
She grins when I say this. I like her. In
fact, I like all of them for showing up here today.
Another student asks the same question. They
share the same desire to dig in and peel back of layers of human history and
get their hands dirty. They see
the perfectly fixable garden hoses and slightly dented space heaters and
scraped up German pint glasses.
We learn from our guide that we’ll be treated
to a special visit: the landfill’s toxic and hazardous materials section.
Here we’re shown bins of mercury and Agent Orange, ammonia, and enough solvents
to fill a suburban bathtub.
We walk back toward the trash heap and hear
about a project in the works to harness the landfill’s methane. But it is the mountain itself that obsesses these students.
Most of them were born and raised climbing Colorado’s 14-ers or racing down
slopes on multi-colored boards. They know mountains.
“I could use that tiny blue plastic table”,
say a girl majoring in elementary education.
“Did you see that retro refrigerator?” says
another.
“This is unbelievable”, says a third.
And then another student cries.
I put my arm around her shoulder and ask if she’s all
right. All she can say is: “It’s just too much”. Other students nod their heads. They puff cold morning air
into tiny discrete clouds and avert their eyes toward the sky. Sobering. The
place is like a Target store after an earthquake.
And it is too much. The recent layer of
usable ephemera heaped upon that rickety pile. The brazen American flag atop
the dozer covering one county’s shame. The reeling gulls. What is it about those damn gulls? Each of them scanning the
loot while lofting above, anxious and willing to turn our trash into treasure.
4 comments:
Even with the generous refund policy in the US, we still throw away so much. Or was it just that has cultivated our purchasing power. Didn't someone ask us to buy our way out in the wake of 9/11? Facing the moutain of "trash", what I fear more is the abscence of our actual contribution in that pile of goods. Then again, for those go through the hardship of producing something, they would not have the heart to waist so much.
WCC: So true. Just read this interesting book called "World Made by Hand"by Kunstler, which speaks to a lot of the things you just said. Hope all is well with you and your wonderful family.
"This too shall pass, honey.." - Dad
When I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however,
- air conditioning cooling | heating and air conditioning | air conditioning adelaide
Post a Comment