Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Southeastern Colorado Food Deserts

I have so much to write about this past weekend's journey into Southeastern Colorado food deserts.  It's a vanishing world, but the record keepers are nowhere to be found. Busted silos, small grocers, the army's heavy hand, city parks and native grasslands, choo-choo trains, random pop machines, and wind, wind, wind. I plan to do my part, and document the geography of this place. If you give me a few days, I promise I'll be back.

From Lamar to Last Chance

Damaged Silos near Holly, CO

Soda Machine across from Vilas, CO City Park

Campo Cafe

Wind, Wind, Wind

Resistance

Inconveniences

Comanche Grasslands


Farmers of Southeastern Colorado

The Classic City Park: But No Children

Amache Japanese Relocation Center

 Small Grocers in Colorado's Food Deserts


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait! I thought you called me from Oklahoma. MH

Anonymous said...

So where are all the post office pictures? I heard Anton and Two Buttes are closing...Sheila.

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Momma,
I did cut across the borders into Oklahoma, and Kansas, but didn't visit any towns in those states. Puppy dog and I drove just far enough in that we could touch land, and then returned to our home state. I'll upload post office pictures ASAP! KB

wuchunc said...

Cool explorations. Could you bump the picture resolution just a bit higher? Some of the details are fun.

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Hey WCC: Not sure what blogger did with the picture resolution. When you click on the images, the quality is much better. Thanks, KB

tony- texas car shipper said...

Cool pics and blog.

Eastcoastdweller said...

What you are doing is very important. Persevere!