Sunday, July 03, 2011

Skype in Shanghai

Shanghai Antique Market
Skype has been a marvel, a lifeline, allowing us to communicate back home with friends and family for just a couple of yuan. Here’s a snippet of my favorite Skype conversation thus far:

AFM (Anonymous Family Member): Have you seen the pandas yet?

Me: No, we haven’t.

AFM: Are you going to go see the pandas?

Me: Well, China is a big country, and we only have so much time to see everything.

AFM: I really think you should see the pandas.

(Me, changing subject)

Me: So, is there anything I can pick up for you while we’re in Shanghai?

AFM: Yes! A kimono.

Me: I think that’s more Japan than China.

AFM: Just get me a kimono.  

I miss my family. So much so that I'm willing to search the serpentine alleys of the Shanghai Antique market for such very bizarre requests.

3 comments:

wuchunc said...

It will be even more confusing if you actually bring back a kimono from Osaka... Oh mine, look what Panda Express has acomplished. :-)

venitha said...

I really think you should see the pandas.

jima said...

Ooh - and definitely try the Kim Chee.