(1) The Dubai Police Department wowed me with its level of transparency, at least for our Fulbright crew, though I’m quite sure that the UAE has more human trafficking cases than statistics indicate, given its strategic position in the Gulf. The giant surveillance screen, likely monitoring every calorie-laden hot chocolate we drank in various malls throughout the UAE, reminded me of Stanley Kubrick’s “Dr. Strangelove”. Look at the “big, big board!” I wanted to shout. Instead I snapped a photo.
(2) The Kuwaiti stock exchange provided the perfect visual for the separation of the sexes. There is the main stock exchange, and then there’s the area for female traders. The big, big board is, of course, found in the male area. Please refer to photo for image of the smaller board. (3) Lunch made by the Kuwaiti kids
accepted into the U.S. State Department “Yes” program (student exchange) was made more delicious by the presence of these 16-year old shining stars. I wanted to hug all of them, and so I did, before I left, with a belly full of baklava.
(4) In my humble, hippie opinion, “desert nature” is decidedly beautiful and in no need of more dune bashing, attack nature, adventure-style tourism common in this region. Deserts, like most human hearts (I mean this metaphorically), are sensitive and fragile. I sat on the dunes and cared little that my camera lens died here in this giant sand box. It was simply love at first sight.(5) Falaika is found 20 km offshore Kuwait, and while this hot, economically
depressed, once-visited-by-the-Greeks, archaeological treasure of an isle in the Gulf is sad, to say the least, the process of getting there is simply spectacular. The island was mined during the Iraqi invasion, some 2,000 settlers were exported back to the mainland, and Failaka never quite recovered. There is a bizarre zoo found
here, and reliable access to several flavors of Baskin Robbins ice cream. But take my advice for the boat ride: head to the bow, wrap a scarf around your head, and breathe, breathe, breathe in the sea spray knowing that history was, and is, made here.
(6) Islam. I told my mother that any religion that reminds me to pray five times per day and step out of the “me-me-me mentality” that so dominates everyday life is just fine in my book. I can still hear that call to prayer as I sit here in my suburban cul-de-sac, giant cottonwood trees whispering in the breeze. Mom replied: “If you’re planning on converting, please wait until I die”. I told her she’d love the mosques of the Gulf, like Grand Zayed, and that they even use New Zealand wool for their giant prayer rug. Had the Norwegians contributed in some small way, she may
have been convinced.
(8) Incensed. Having been a lifelong avoider of the department store cologne section, being customarily “incensed” by our host in the aftermath of a scrumptious, gut-busting dinner was an entirely new experience, one that I’d love to incorporate into my own traditions. In a culture so modest, there’s something a bit sweetly scandalous about tenting open the base of your blouse to beckon in the smoky scents of Arabia.
(9) The Mall. While Malls of the Gulf are often deemed engineering marvels, I just can’t shake the nausea that accompanies my visit to them, even if they do contain a super cool indoor ski slope and a multi-storied aquarium. Without ruining it for those seeking to visit Dubai, let’s just close with a Homer Simpson quote: “I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?”
5 comments:
I love my immortalization on your blog. I totally forgot about that photo: it is hilarious. I also really liked reading your highlights and lowlights. It was a great trip backwards for me as I sit in my very lush green backyard. Thank you!
Thank you, thank you, and thank you. :-))
LOL! You are such a contrast to Homer Simpson. =) Love it. And welcome home!
What an incredible journey, Kiwi! Thank you sharing your adventures and insights with us. And I am sorry, but I simply love the whole "Vanistani" vibe - classically hilarious! Welcome home, my friend...
I loved reading about your trip. You are such a brave, "out there" woman! I am amazed by the things you do, the places you go, and the observations you make all along the way. Oh, to not only see what you see, but to see it HOW you see it!
Post a Comment