‘What you should be asking yourself is not Will I get published? Not Will I write a publishable book? Because … trash gets published all the time. What you should ask yourself as a writer is, Can I write something important? Can I write something that’s inevitable?’ Well, I asked Percival, ‘So how do you know?’ And he said, ‘You will know what is important and inevitable because it’s the story that keeps you up at night. It drives you crazy. It makes you angry. It makes you despair. It makes you depressed. Because all of that will pour into the book and go into the world, and people will read it and say My life has been changed.’
-Nigerian poet and novelist, Chris Abani
-Nigerian poet and novelist, Chris Abani
3 comments:
So, Karen, what keeps you up at night - besides darling baby boy?
What keeps me up is wondering if you have a new post to savor.
XXOO
GTia
I agree with Gtia. Sounds like something is simmering under the surface. Let us have it, Karen! All this baited breath is bad for the environment!
Don't forget that the urge to share and spread happiness as one of the driving force. As for Geeks like me, we easily got excited about anything "cool" or "interesting," but of course, there are things to keep even wcc simmering at night.
Post a Comment