I sit in the booth of a seaside diner across from my Dad, chomping down, of all things, a buffalo burger, something I could easily acquire back in Colorado. In my experience all weighty things happen in diners. Tactics are shared, plans hatched, romances begin, diets end, unforeseen possibilities broil back in the joint’s aging, spavined kitchen.
Daytona Beach fascinates. A town long past its prime, it is the home of melancholy, a sentiment portrayed most famously in Ashley Judd’s break-out movie, Ruby in Paradise. But nostalgia is a dangerous thing. Perhaps I like the place because the weather is generous, the people are open, and it is, most importantly, Somewhere Else Other Than Colorado.
You want one? I’ll buy you one. Dad is continuing our conversation about the 30 some odd gingerbread houses for sale perched in the foyer of the diner. Most of the structures are homogenous, but one stands out boldly in its design. A roof crafted from wheat bix cereal gives it a beckoning, beach hut appearance. M and M candies are scattered across the front yard.
No, thanks. I don’t really need a gingerbread house. I need a mountain cabin with a wrap-around porch and a stone fireplace.
Dad chuckles, gives me an appraising look. You sure? He’s using his New York City, no-nonsense, let’s make a deal interrogation voice. I relish these moments. That’s one good thing about reaching the Middle Period. No time is dead time.
We drive toward Ormond, past the old beach house, and I marvel at the height of the front yard’s sago palm, not to mention the town’s soaring real estate prices. Back at the house, I rake sycamore leaves the size of tortillas into giant crunchy piles while Dad recharges with an afternoon nap. His neighbor ambles over and hands me a mesh bag full of pink grapefruit and we discuss life on Wisteria Lane.
The job completed, I grab my sneakers and run around the lake in Ormond Beach’s Central Park, where raccoon babies scuttle across the jogging path, and tanned older women walk their small, hyper-caffeinated dogs.
A fisherman shouts in my direction, I’m timing you! But you’re going the wrong way! He clutches a paper bag with what resembles an oil can and traces large circles in the air. I am navigating counter-clockwise around the lake, pepped up on lowland oxygen, charging against the grain in central Florida. Because, why not?
7 comments:
You're back! Glad to see a new post. Hope that you had a wonderful Christmas.
The short essay reminded me of my visits to some of my used-to-be familiar places. I wanted to stay there a bit longer but never can.
Very happy to see a new post after such a long time. A good find for the beginning of the year.
Your posts are somehow able to transport me elsewhere, and in this case I could almost smell the diner food and feel the humidity. Thanks for the mini-trip to Florida!
Glad you are back - missed you.
Spavined - took me a while to find a definition that didn't have to do with swollen horse knees ;)
Happy New Year.
GTia
Hi Karen, I feel rewarded after the long wait. Your prose is rich and full of pictures. Hope to see more stories as you think them up, or live them, actually both.
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. Will try and post some juicy stories and pix soon. Happy New Year to All. - Karen
wonderful post!
Post a Comment