Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Karma

A parking ticket under my windshield wiper flaps in the welcome breeze of a 99 degree day on the Colorado prairie. I’ve failed to return my faculty/staff pass to its home on the rearview mirror so the campus cops have nailed me. Last week we carted a 1980s garage sale desk 40 miles to my office (on the Sabbath) because the University can only afford a 1960s desk (with packing tape to hold the drawers together) and they have the nerve to give me a parking ticket. Where’s the karmic justice?

I hit the road and after five miles the Subaru check engine light switches on. “Tank” is fussy whenever the mercury shoots above 90 but I ignore my car’s demands. We’re all hot out here. But soon the gas gauge dances precariously close to “E”, and, slightly defeated, I pull off to refill Tank.

Outside the station, a college-age girl in shorts and a white halter top shares a private joke with her lanky boyfriend while leaning against a shiny new SUV. The car looks bloated, like it just demolished an entire Pulcinella’s pizza. Tank and I shoot a disdainful look in their direction.

Back in the car, I head North on I-25 when a rock promptly smacks my new windshield. A tiny star pattern now clouds the view. Apparently the karmic justice I summoned earlier has arrived.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pulcinellas pizza! Yum! Gimme sum!

jima said...

Despite my suspicions that "Mr. Anonymous" might have missed the point of the pizza reference, I would agree that it is yummy.

Very nice post! sorry about ticket. You're just building up karmic credit for something really good, I'm sure!

Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Hey, Jim! Thanks for reading my post. Have fun in Australia...watch out for those hoppity hops.

Erica said...

What a day! Wish that it would have gone better for you!

Anonymous said...

Well, Karen, the good news is that you have paid your dues, so to speak, for another respite. Or not ...