Today is the 101st anniversary of Norway’s independence from neighboring Sweden. It’s been one year since the trip to Kristiansand to see the rellies and start this blog. I celebrate my heritage by adding a cocktail of Kilz primer to the living room trim. Pimsleur’s Norwegian plays on the Ipod. Kiwi eyes the new room dubiously. She freezes as I step precariously over her with the wet brush. I rush to complete a list of home improvement projects before the summer heats the prairie and melts my determination. We stood in the cul-de-sac last night chatting with the Macedonians as the gnats circled aloft, the kids pinwheeling their arms to keep the bugs at bay. The father’s voice is filled with life, his face etched with an intractable grin. Kiwi sniffs the air and narrows her eyes like Diane Wiest and then sweeps her tail against the asphalt when she sees the youngest boy approach. Her floppy tongue spills from her mouth, and she laughs at something no one understands.
4 comments:
don't call a swede a norwegian, they get pissed.
but you can call norwegians sweet though. ;)
I'm going to use that one from now on, Calamity Man.
Kiwi and Diane Wiest - separated at birth? Give the Ki-ster a cuddle for me.
Post a Comment