Tuesday, March 28, 2006

All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Patagonia: Part III

The wonderful Brasilian woman we met on the kayak trip told us of the impending strike for Aerolinas Argentinas. I selfishly prayed that this development would disrupt our return flight to Buenos Aires, but the airline and the union worked our their quarrel. We would leave Nahuel Huapi as planned in just a few days.

On our third night the four of us sat around a campfire and listened to Dani tell a story. I do not recall the crux of it, but I know it evoked in us a state of uncontrollable laughter the likes of which that river has never seen. We were in physical pain from the laughter, clutching our 30-something backs and stomachs yet urging Dani to continue.

It is at these moments of synergy when I feel the presence of a spirit much greater than myself, my job, my life back in Colorado. I’m not sure whether the stars align themselves just right, or whether fate intervenes to pull certain people together, but when it happens, it’s transcendent.

Needless to say, we made some wonderful friends on the trip and I hope they find the means to visit us in Colorado. If not, we may just have to make another trip south.


PS - All I really need to know I learned in Patagonia. Relax.


1 comment:

venitha said...

Stunning photos, Karen! I'll try to keep your "relax" theme in mind in Shanghai. Somehow I'm not so sure it's going to fit, though.